Staff Accountant II
Perceptive. Calm. Analytical. Sounds like exactly the qualities you'd want in your trusted accountant.
And that's exactly what you get with Agnes Sikora, who considers those traits her strengths when it comes to crunching numbers and helping business clients navigate their financials and taxes.
The Columbia College of Missouri grad — who emigrated from Poland to the U.S. with her family when she was a freshman in high school, settling in Wheeling, Illinois — specializes in bookkeeping, monthly reconciliation, payroll and payroll tax. While it may sound tedious to some, Sikora relishes the challenges. " I always liked working with numbers. Math and science were my favorite subjects in school," she admits.
Since joining the firm in September 2017, Sikora quickly settled in — and wasn’t afraid to ask questions of her colleagues to help her immediately hit the ground running. "Everyone here is very helpful," she says, adding with a smile, "and I haven't had anyone get annoyed by my interruptions."
Outside of the office, the married mother of two has put her skills to use in another capacity as well. "I'm a dispatcher for St. Vincent de Paul Society, an international voluntary organization of the Catholic Church providing help to the needy."
While accounting landed her a role a bit different than her "dream job" growing up — "I wanted to be a pilot," she says — Sikora takes flight in other ways. "I like zip lining, roller coasters, helicopters … I love any activity that gives me an adrenaline rush." That includes reading tax tables, of course.
Get to Know Agnes — Six Facts:
1. I'm motivated by ... "Being a good role model for my children, Matthew and Charlie. Showing them that they can have any career that they desire and that there are no limits to what they can accomplish as long as they put their mind to it and try hard."
2. My first job was ... "As a clerk at White Hen Pantry. I liked being the fastest one on the cash register. Meeting questionable characters face to face, though, was not my favorite."
3. When I’m not at work, I enjoy … “Any outdoor activities — hiking, swimming — and watching my boys play sports. My husband and I love watching “Jeopardy” too, especially when our boys join in the competition.”
4. My heroes are … “Moms who have it all together — working full time, cooking, with a spotless house.”
5. My favorite musical acts are … “Muse, Bon Jovi, Journey and Sara Bareilles.”
6. One lesson I learned from my parents that guides me today … “Do the job right the first time.”
Connect with Agnes