John Albanese, CPA
John Albanese joined Eder, Casella & Co. in 1999, right after earning his Bachelor of Arts in Business Accounting from Trinity International University, and made partner at the age of 26. The McHenry native has built his reputation serving a variety of clients in both audit and tax capacities, developing into a go-to for construction companies.
“I love the fast-paced environment and the people we work with, both the staff and our clients,” Albanese says. “I like meeting with our new clients and working with them to customize our services to what is best for their situation.”
It was a career trajectory he admittedly didn’t expect growing up (he dreamed of being a pro baseball player) — it wasn’t until college that he locked in on accounting. “My college advisor suggested it, so I went for it,” he says, adding with a smile, “It certainly worked out okay.”
These days, Albanese heads up the firm's tax department. The self-professed sports nut is also a baseball coach for the Pro Player Hurricanes, where he has coached his two sons, Jackson and Ryan. (He also has a daughter, Brooklyn.)
Coaching definitely fits his M.O. — when asked about what he most enjoys about helping his accounting clients, he’s quick to answer, “Explaining things in a way they understand it. We work really hard to meet the client where they are at, situationally speaking.”
Get to Know John — Five Facts:
1. Accounting is fun (yes, really!) because… “Yes, numbers can seem boring, but once you understand them, they can really help you run your business.”
2. My first job was… “I worked for the City of McHenry street division, and sometimes I had to clean up roadkill.”
3. When I’m not at work, I enjoy… “Playing sports myself, and watching my kids play. I really look forward to my kids’ baseball games, basketball games, and cross-country races.
4. My advice for passing the CPA exam is… “Don’t delay — don’t wait too long after college to take it.”
5. The word that best describes me… “Sarcastic.”
Connect with John