John Eder, CPA
“Work hard, and always be there for your family.” That was a life lesson passed down to John Eder from his parents, and he still adheres to that simple motto today. In 1989, he founded Eder, Casella & Co., and still works regularly with all types of clients.
Inspired by his mom, who was a bookkeeper, Eder earned his CPA in 1984 after graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree from Northern Illinois University. After serving as staff accountant and partner at Milburn, Cain & Co., he forged out on his own.
“My favorite part of this job is being a sounding board for clients,” the Antioch native says. “Helping them make important decisions in running their business. That’s the thing about accounting — you’re not just running numbers all day, you are advising clients to help them achieve their financial goals.”
A member of The American Institute of CPAs and the Illinois CPA Society, Eder has also been involved with the McHenry Kiwanis Club since 1990, where he is a Past President, Treasurer and current board member. Married with two grown children, he became a grandparent in 2015 — “I love to spend time with them,” he says — even at the expense of his beloved sport, golf.
As for his firm, he couldn’t be more proud of what his once-small office has grown into. “We have a team of excellent, hard-working people that inspire me every day,” he says. “They all strive to be their absolute best. We give timely service, and we don’t believe in requesting extensions for our work. On time, every time.”
Get to Know John — Five Facts:
1. If I wasn’t an accountant… “I’d be doing something involving sports.”
2. I’m inspired by… “My dad, who was a carpenter, worked six days a week, and always seemed to enjoy going to his job to provide a good life for his family. I always loved his outlook on life.”
3. My first job was… “Helping teach children to golf through the Village of Antioch. My favorite part was seeing the happiness when they were able to hit the golf ball.”
4. My advice for passing the CPA exam is… “Study hard and get it over with — the longer you wait, the harder it is.”
5. I want to be remembered as… “A good dad and grandfather.”
*John retired from the firm on December 31st of 2019 and is enjoying his time with family and on the links. We wish John many blessings in his retirement. If you have any questions please reach out to us at email@example.com.