RACHAEL LESPERANCE, CPA
Consider Rachael Lesperance the “Swiss Army knife” of Eder, Casella & Co. Her versatility has proven invaluable since she joined the firm in 2011, always at the ready to jump in whenever and wherever needed. “I particularly enjoy working with local small businesses, whether it be assisting with their financial statements or finding ways to minimize their tax burden. Investing in the community that way is important to me.”
In addition, Lesperance provides monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting services to a variety of private businesses. “On any given day, you can find me preparing financial statements for a local small business, preparing a tax return for an individual, or assisting clients to project their tax liability and avoid any penalties and interest.” the Crystal Lake native says.
Lesperance landed at Eder, Casella & Co. after earning her Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Accounting from Taylor University in Indiana, and earned her CPA in 2013. Although she worked remotely for Eder, Casella & Co., from Michigan for a few years, she was happy to return to McHenry and purchase her first home in historic downtown McHenry.
When asked what drew her to accounting, Lesperance cites her “Type A” personality. “I became an accountant because I like the definiteness of accounting,” she says. “I appreciate how there is usually a specific solution that has to be found in accounting — i.e. Assets = Liabilities + Equity — rather than developing an abstract idea. Each piece of the puzzle fits in a specific place.”
Get to Know Rachael — Five Facts:
1. The highlight of my career so far… “Passing the CPA exam on the first try.”
2. If I wasn’t an accountant… “It’s too hard to choose! Travel, run a farm stand or bed and breakfast, work at a National Park…”
3. When I'm not at work, I enjoy… “Traveling, cooking, reading, gardening, and working to restore my 1917 house with my husband.”
4. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a… “Weather reporter/storm chaser. Weather still fascinates me.”
5. My favorite musical acts are… “Josh Garrels, Over the Rhine and (my guilty pleasure) Taylor Swift.”
Connect with Rachael