IT Support Specialist
Some people say accounting is boring. Tom Schinler’s response? “They’re right.”
Brave words for someone who works in an office full of people who have dedicated their lives to numbers … but perhaps exactly what you’d expect from someone with his background. Schinler prefers digging deep into technology, keeping Eder, Casella & Co.’s hardware and software humming in his role as IT support. A CompTia A+ certified expert, Schinler also provides his expertise to the firm’s clients as they fix, upgrade and install the accounting programs recommended for their businesses.
The role is more critical than ever as advancements in programming and computing power are transforming the way accounting is done — keeping information secure while compiling, tracking and analyzing critical business data is priority number one for business ventures of all sizes and concentrations.
To that, the proud father of one, who grew up in Lindenhurst, Illinois, and attended Antioch Community High School before joining Eder, Casella in 2017, points to one piece of simple guidance that has proven critical, time and again. “My grandfather gave me the best computer advice I’ve ever gotten,” he said, “Read the screen!”
Get to Know Tom— Six Facts:
1. My first job was … “When I was 16, I worked as a line cook. I have always loved working with food and relished (pun intended) the opportunity to learn as much as possible.”
2. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a … “Pro wrestler.”
3. What’s your favorite inspirational quote?... “If life hands you lemons, make lemon meringue pie, because lemonade is too easy, and we all know what happens when you take the easy way out.”
4. What do you most look forward to? ...“It may sound corny, but waking up every morning.”
5. When I’m not at work, I enjoy … “Reading and listening to tech podcasts. I spend a lot of time listening to radio dramas and fiction podcasts. To relax after a long day or workweek, I put on my headphones and clean the house. Other than that, I spend as much time as possible doting on my daughter Tiana and wife Gina.”
6. I’d like to be remembered as … “A great father, great husband, great friend, great cook, and great hacker.”
Connect with Tom